Please support our
Without their support this rally would not be possible!
2018 - 54th Annual Rally - Course Information
The 2018 Hayward Air Rally was held June 21-24, 2018. The destination this year was Reno/Stead (RTS), Nevada.
Click on these links to download PDF versions of the final score sheets:
- Official Results - Printable Score Sheet
- Official Results Color Coded
- Raw Score Results
- Searchable Online Results
- Special Awards
View the 2018 Picture Gallery
Congratulations to the 2018 winners:
Rod Fite and Christopher Freeze, Race 7 with 119 points.
Each of the Rally's two legs each include:
- 1 Start Point
- 3 Mandatory Checkpoints
- 1 Bonus Checkpoint
- 1 Timing Point
- 1 Stop Point
The checkpoints, and therefore the course, change every year. The required checkpoints which define the course are announced the day before the race (see the race schedule) at the briefing and are documented in the race book provided to each team. The exact course flown is chosen by the pilot of each aircraft. Remember, this is not a speed race, it is a proficiency event; accuracy counts.
So that prospective racers can get better idea of the materials provided during the briefing, a PDF copy of the 2018 Race Book is available for download here.
Checkpoints are to be overflown by race aircraft. Each checkpoint can be adequately identified from the air. The two timing points at Checkpoint Howie and Checkpoint Hallelujah are also overflown and race officials on the ground will record the time overhead the timing line. The answers to the 2018 checkpoint questions are here.
The 2018 course is described here to provide an example only, the 2019 course will be different, and will not be announced until shortly before the race during the briefings.
The 2018 course included the following checkpoints and stops:
- Hayward (HWD) - Race Starts
- Del Mar Farms (CN99) - BONUS
- Ione Prison (N37˚ 32.79', W121˚ 09.51')
- Folsom High School (N38˚ 39.72', W121˚ 09.42')
- Richter (12CN)
- Checkpoint Howie (40º 21.894' N, 122º 13.038' W @ 68CA) - Timing Line
- Redding (RDD) - Landing, Fuel and Lunch
- Burney Sawmill (N40˚ 52.31', W121˚ 42.06')
- California Pines (A24) - BONUS
- Fire Control Station (N40˚ 46.11', W120 43.53')
- Spaulding (1Q2)
- Checkpoint Hallelujah Junction (39º 46.47' N, 120º 02.30’ W)- Timing Line
- Reno/Stead (RTS) - Landing, Fuel, Race Ends
Approximate 2018 Race Course
This shows the actual GPS track data from most of the
airplanes. Not everyone flies the course in straight
Before Losing Checklist
Develeoped just for our race crews, we merrily present the Before Losing Checklist: